Pages

Friday 31 May 2019

Drill Gauge (Engineering)

              This Is My Drill Gauge                                            This Is A Commercial Drill Gauge                                                                         Image result for drill gauge                               
I will be writing about the tools I used and how I used them

We used mild-steel to make the drill gauge the size of the piece I used was 115mm by 20mm

Ruler

A ruler sometimes called a rule or line gauge, is a device used in geometry and technical drawing, as well as the engineering and construction industries, to measure or draw straight lines.
I used the ruler to mark out 115mm and later on I used It to mark out the places where the drill holes go



Scriber and Engineering Square

A scriber is a hand tool used in metalwork to mark lines on my workpiece, prior to machining. The process of using a scriber is called scribing and is just part of the process of marking out. A machinist square or engineer's square is the metalworkers' equivalent of a try square It consists of a steel blade inserted and either welded or pinned into a heavier body at an angle of 90°. Usually, a small notch is present at the inside corner of the square. This prevents small particles from accumulating at the juncture and affecting the square's reading.
I used these tools to mark out a straight line so it could guide me when I saw through the metal. and later on, I used them to mark out where the drill holes go. 


Engineerings Vise

An engineerings vise is used to clamp metal. It is used to hold metal when filing or cutting.  I used this tool to hold my piece of metal so I could clean it.


Hack Saw

A hacksaw is a fine-toothed saw, originally and mainly made for cutting metal. The equivalent saw for cutting wood is usually called bow saw. Most hacksaws are hand saws with a C-shaped frame that holds a blade under tension.
I used the hack saw to cut through the metal.   


Emery Cloth

Emery cloth is a type of coated abrasive that has emery glued to a cloth backing. It is used for hand metalworking. It may be sold in sheets or in narrow rolls, typically 25 or 50 mm wide. I used emery cloth to clean my work and make it smooth.

Angle grinder

An angle grinder, also known as a side grinder or disc grinder, is a handheld power tool used for grinding (abrasive cutting) and polishing. I used this tool to clean my work.

File

Engineer files also known as hand files are a length of metal with teeth cut into at least one of its sides. They are used to smooth off a range of materials including metals and wood to remove any unwanted material after cutting or sharpening. I used the file to file off the scrap metal and to round off one end.




Vernier Caliper

The Vernier Caliper is a precision instrument that can be used to measure internal and external distances extremely accurately. I used the vernier to measure how long my work was. 



Ball Peen Hammer And Center Punch

A ball-peen hammer, also known as a machinist's hammer, is a type of peening hammer used in metalworking. It has two heads, one flat and the other, called the peen, rounded. It is distinguished from a cross-peen hammer, diagonal-peen hammer, point-peen hammer, or chisel-peen hammer by having a hemispherical peen. A punch is a metal rod with a sharp tip at one end and a blunt butt end at the other, which is usually struck by a hammer Typically, woodworkers use a ball peen hammer to strike a punch.



Micrometer Screw Gauge

A micrometre, sometimes known as a micrometre screw gauge, is a device incorporating a calibrated screw widely used for accurate measurement of components in mechanical engineering and machining as well as most mechanical trades. I used the micrometre to measure the drill bits accurately.


Drill Presses And Drill Bits
A drill is a tool primarily used for making round holes or driving fasteners. It is fitted with a bit, either a drill or driver, depending on the application, secured by a chuck. Some powered drills also include a hammer function. Drills vary widely in speed, power, and size. They are characteristically corded electrically driven devices, with hand operated types dramatically decreasing in popularity and cordless battery powered ones proliferating. Drills are commonly used in woodworking, metalworking, machine tool fabrication, construction and utility projects. Specially designed versions are made for medicine, Space, and miniature applications. Drill bits are cutting tools used to remove material to create holes, almost always of circular cross-section. Drill bits come in many sizes and shapes and can create different kinds of holes in many different materials. 3, 4, 5, 6, 6.8, 7, 8 10 were the holes I drilled with these tools.



Number Punch

Number punch sets include full 10 digits 0-9, to ensure even wear across the set, rather than repeating use of 6 and 9. I used the number of punches to indent numbers into my work.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.